Liisa HusuTjänstetitel: Seniorprofessor Organisation: Institutionen för humaniora, utbildnings- och samhällsvetenskap
Telefon: 019 303915
Om Liisa Husu
Liisa Husu is Senior Professor of Gender Studies, School of Humanities, Education and Social Science (HumES) at Örebro University. She is Co-Director of GEXcel International Collegium for Advanced Transdisciplinary Gender Studies, a three-university (Karlstad – Linköping – Örebro universities) research platform of advanced gender research (www.gexcel.org).
Liisa Husu is a Finnish sociologist and gender expert with a strong international engagement. She has previously been a board member of GEXcel Centre of Gender Excellence, one of the Swedish Centres of Gender Excellence, funded by the Swedish Research Council 2007-2011; Guest Professor in Gender Studies at Örebro University 2009-2010, Guest Professor at Linköping University Tema Genus 2009-2011, and is Docent in Women’s Studies at Tampere University, Finland. She is also an affiliated researcher and member of the GODESS Institute at the Department of Management and Organisation, Hanken School of Economics, Finland.
Husu received her PhD in Social Sciences from the University of Helsinki in 2001, and was awarded the Gender Studies award Christina of the Year in 2002 by the University of Helsinki Christina Institute of Gender Studies, and the University of Helsinki Gender Equality Prize, the Maikki Friberg Prize, in 2009.
Liisa Husu was the National Co-ordinator of Women’s Studies and senior adviser in the Finnish gender equality machinery (Council for Equality between Women and Men and Equality Ombudsman’s Office) at the Prime Minister’s Office and Ministry of Social Affairs and Health 1981-1996; researcher in the Academy of Finland funded research project Gender in Academia 1997-2001 at the Department of Social Psychology, University of Helsinki; Research Fellow at the Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies, University of Helsinki 2002-2008, and Project Manager of NASTA - Women’s Leadership Research and Development Project, a national three-university project funded by the Finnish Ministry of Education, 2008-2010, at Hanken School of Economics, Helsinki.
Liisa Husu's research interests focus on gender in science, academia and knowledge production; especially on gender dynamics and inequalities in scientific careers, organisations and science policy. She has been leading the GEXcel research theme “Gender Paradoxes in Changing Academic and Scientific Organisation(s)”, and led the Örebro part of the Swedish Research Council funded project on “Feminist Theorizings of Intersectionality, Transversal Dialogues and New Synergies”. She was a partner in a major European FP7 project GenPORT that was pooling and organising extensive gender and science resources to an interactive portal. In 2021-2023, she is engaged in two Horizon2020 projects related to gender in science and academia: GRANTed on gender bias in research funding, and UNISAFE, on gender-based violence in universities.
Husu has been a member of the evaluation panel in the Uppsala University overall research evaluation Quality and Renewal 2006, and a "researcher on research" panel member in the Uppsala University overall research evaluation Quality and Renewal 2017, and in the evaluation panel of social sciences of the Czech Academy of Sciences in 2015 and 2020.
She has been a reviewer for ERC; Elsevier New Scholar Programme; Austrian Wissenschaftsfonds Wittgenstein award; the Science Foundation Ireland Institute Development Awards, member in the evaluation committee of the MEERVOUD programme of the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research NWO; was member of the jury of the European Women Inventor and Innovation Award 2009; and took part in the Swedish Council for Higher Education's assessment of gender equality projects in higher education, funded by DJ, the Delegationen för jämställdhet i högskolan (Committee for gender equality in higher education). In 2017, she conducted a gender equality review of the Riksbankens Jubileumsfond (The Swedish Foundation for Humanities and Social Sciences) research project funding processes.
Expert activities and positions of trust
Husu has functioned extensively as a gender expert and adviser for diverse research stakeholders in Nordic countries, Europe and internationally, including funding organisations and Ministries, and has been actively involved in developing gender approaches in universities and research policy since the early 1980s in many roles and contexts.
She has served as the Vice-Chair and member of the University of Helsinki Equality Committee, and was a member of Örebro University Equality Committee from 2010 until May 2018 (until the Committee was not renewed). She was member of the board of NIKK, Nordic Gender Institute, funded by the Nordic Council of Ministers, 1995-2000, and the Chair of its first board 1995-1996. She was also a member of the Swedish Ministry of Education advisory group on gender in European research policy in 2017.
Husu served as a member of the Board of the Tampere University Foundation in Finland, established in April 2017, which was to merge the University of Tampere and Tampere University of Technology to a new university, and member of the interim Board of the new Tampere University, until October 2018.
Ph.D. education and examination
Liisa Husu has examined ten Ph.D.s (in Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, and Sweden; in Sociology, Political Science, Education, and Gender Studies) and supervised seven doctoral students. She was Board Member of Intergender, the Swedish-International doctoral school in gender research.
Liisa Husu has lectured and given invited presentations in over thirty countries, in Australia, Canada, China, Europe, Latin America, Morocco, South Africa, and USA.
International engagements include a keynote presentation in the Japanese-American-Scandinavian forum on gender in science in Washington D.C. in 2009; at the UNCTAD multi-year expert meeting on enterprise development and capacity building in science, technology and innovation in 2011; in the EC Social Dialogue, Committee on Education in 2012; at the European Conference of Women University Rectors in Istanbul in 2014; at the International Conference on Gender and Higher Education in Europe in University of Lund in 2014, and in the Gender Panel of the Second African Ministerial Forum on Science, Technology and Innovation in Rabat, Morocco in 2014.
She has played an active role in European actions and research development on gender and science; as a partner in the FP7 project GenPORT; as researcher in the FP7 project genSET, a capacity building action project on gender equality and excellence in science; as a partner in the EU FP6 research project PROMETEA on empowering women in technological research careers; a partner in the EU FP6 project ADVANCE on promoting women’s scientific careers; and a member of the COST action Gender STE. She contributed to the EC report Gender and Excellence in the Making (2004), and was the Rapporteur of the EC expert group Gender and Excellence (The Gender Challenge in Research Funding, 2009) reviewing research funding from gender perspective in 33 countries.
Husu is the moderator of the European Network on Gender Equality in Higher Education, and its email list eq-uni since 1998, and has contributed to organising eleven European Conferences on Gender Equality in Higher Education across Europe. She was a founding member of the European Platform of Women Scientists EPWS. In 2016 she was appointed to a Scientific Advisor of the European Association of Women Rectors, EWORA. She was a long-term board member of the International Sociological Association’s Research Committee 32 “Women in Society”, and is a board member of the International Sociological Association Research Committee 23, Sociology of Science and Technology during 2018-2021.
She was a member of the steering group of the European conference on gender in research and innovation organised by the Finnish EU Presidency in Helsinki in October 2019.
Her publications include Hard Work in the Academy. Research and Interventions on Gender Inequalities in Higher Education (1999), the special issue on Academe and Gender of UNESCO/CEPES journal Higher Education in Europe (2000), Sexism, Support and Survival in Academia: Academic Women and Hidden Discrimination in Finland (2001), Tiede, tieto ja sukupuoli [Science, Knowledge and Gender] (2005), Dold diskriminering på akademiska arenor – osynligt, synligt, subtilt [Hidden discrimination on academic arenas – invisible, visible, subtle] (2005); Leadership through the Gender Lens (2010), Women, Management and Leadership (2011), the special issue on Feminist Encounters in Research and Innovation of the journal Feminist Encounters (2021), as well as many journal articles and chapters in books. In 2013 she was among the invited researchers writing in Nature on”Scientists of the world speak up for equality”.
Artiklar i tidskrifter
- Benschop, Y. & Husu, L. (2021). Close Encounters of the Feminist Kind with Research and Innovation. Feminist Encounters: A Journal of Critical Studies in Culture and Politics, 5 (2), 1-6.
- Husu, L. (2019). Gender challenges in research funding. Global Dialogue, 9 (2).
- Hearn, J. , Strid, S. , Husu, L. & Verloo, M. (2016). Interrogating violence against women and state violence policy: Gendered intersectionalities and the quality of policy in The Netherlands, Sweden and the UK. Current Sociology, 64 (4), 551-567.
- Husu, L. & Tainio, L. (2016). Representations of women researchers in Finnish print media: top researchers, multi-talents and experts [Representaciones de mujeres investigadoras En la prensa escrita finlandesa: investigadoras de élite, multi-talentos y expertas]. Investigaciones Feministas, 7 (2), 203-224.
- Husu, L. , Al-Gazali, L. , Valian, V. , Barres, B. , Wu, L. , Andrei, E. Y. , Handelsman, J. & Moss-Racusin, C. (2013). Scientists of the world speak up for equality. Nature, 495 (7439), 35-38.
- Hearn, J. & Husu, L. (2011). Understanding gender: some implications for science and technology. ISR. Interdisciplinary science review, 36 (2), 103-113.
- Husu, L. & Koskinen, P. (2010). Gendering excellence in technological reseach: a comparative European perspective. Journal of technology management & innovation, 5 (1), 127-139.
- Husu, L. (2004). Naisystävällisempään yliopistoon?: Tiedenaiset ja muutoksen visiot. Naistutkimus - Kvinnoforskning, 17 (1), 4-21.
- Husu, L. & Tainio, L. (2004). Tiedenaiset suomalaisten sanoma: ja aikakauslehtien haastatteluissa (Women scientists in interviews in Finnish print media). Tiedotustutkimus, 27 (4-5), 56-76.
- Husu, L. (2000). Gender Discrimination in the Promised Land of Gender Equality. Higher Education in Europe, 25 (2), 221-228.
- Hearn, J. , Husu, L. & Biricik, A. (2011). genSET Workshop Briefing Materials: ”Advancing Excellence in Science through Gender Equality”. EU FP7 Report to the European Commission.
- de Cheveigné, S. & Husu, L. (2009). The Gender Challenge in Research Funding: Assessing European National Scenes. Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities.
Kapitel i böcker, del av antologier
- Husu, L. (2020). What does not happen: interrogating a tool for building a gender-sensitive university. I: Eileen Drew and Siobhán Canavan, The Gender-Sensitive University: A Contradiction of terms? (ss. 166-176). London: Routledge.
- Hearn, J. & Husu, L. (2019). Age-Gender Relations in the Academic Profession: Putting the Challenges of Early Career Academics into Context. I: Marta Choroszewicz and Tracey L. Adams, Gender, Age and Inequality in the Professions (ss. 193-212). New York: Routledge.
- Husu, L. (2019). Gender equality in Nordic academia: advances and challenges. I: Dragica Vujadinović and Zorana Antonijević, RODNA RAVNOPRAVNOST U VISOKOM OBRAZOVANJU: Koncepti, prakse i izazovi (ss. 63-73). Novi Sad, Serbia: Akademska knjiga.
- Husu, L. & Koskinen (Koskinen-Sandberg), P. (2019). Płeć a obszary doskonałości w badaniach technicznych i inżynieryjnych: porównanie europejskie. I: Renata Siemienska, Kariery akademickie kobiet i mężczyzn: Różne czy podobne? (ss. 29-50). Warsaw, Poland: Wydawnictwo Naukowe Scholar.
- Husu, L. (2018). Nordic Countries and the Nordic Region: Gender Research and Gender Studies in Northern Europe. I: Beate Kortendiek, Birgit Riegraf & Katja Sabisch, Handbuch Interdisziplinäre Geschlechterforschung. . Springer Nature.
- Hearn, J. , Biese, I. , Choroszewicz, M. & Husu, L. (2016). Gender, diversity and intersectionality in professions and potential professions: analytical, historical and contemporary perspectives. I: Mike Dent, Ivy Lynn Bourgeault, Jean-Louis Denis and Ellen Kuhlmann, The Routledge Companion to the Professions and Professionalism (ss. 57-70). Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge.
- Hearn, J. & Husu, L. (2016). Gender equality. I: Nancy Naples, J. M. Ryan, r.c. hoogland, M. Wickramasinghe, W. C. A. Wong, The Wiley Blackwell Encyclopedia of Gender and Sexuality Studies. Oxford, United Kingdom: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Inc..
- Husu, L. (2015). A Comprehensive National Approach to Promote Gender Equality in Science: The Case of Norway. I: Willie Pearson, Jr.; Lisa M. Frehill; Connie L. McNeely, Advancing Women in Science: an International Perspective (ss. 327-329). Cham, Heidelberg, New York, Dordrecht, London: Springer Publishing Company.
- Husu, L. (2014). Att verka på lika villkor i akademin: om jämställdhet och likabehandling. I: Sara Eldén och Anna Jonsson, Efter festen: Om konsten att utvecklas från doktor till docent eller en överlevnadsguide för den postdoktorala tillvaron (ss. 213-230). Lund: Studentlitteratur AB.
- Husu, L. (2012). TANEn tutkimusjaosto tutkimuksen ja tasa-arvopolitiikan solmukohtana: varhaista, vaikuttavaa ja valtakunnallista verkottumista. I: Saara Kuusinen, Ritva Reinboth, Hannele Varsa, uuli Vuori, TANEn aiheet ja vaiheet - tasa-arvoasiain neuvottelukunta 40 vuotta [TANE genom tiderna. Delegationen för jämställdhetsärenden 40 år - Themes and times of TANE. The Council for Gender Equality (TANE) 40 years.]. (ss. 25-30). Helsinki: Sosiaali- ja terveysministeriö, tasa-arvoasiain neuvottelukunta (Social- och hälsovårdsministeriet, Delegationen för jämställdhetsärenden, Finland).
- Husu, L. , Hearn, J. , Lämsä, A. & Vanhala, S. (2011). Introduction. I: Liisa Husu, Jeff Hearn, Anna-Maija Lämsä, Sinikka Vanhala, Women, management and leadership - Naiset ja johtajuus: NASTA women's leadership project final report (ss. V-29). Helsinki: Edita Publishing Oy.
- Hearn, J. , Husu, L. , Hiillos, M. , Vanhala, S. , Lämsä, A. , Holm, J. , Laukkanen, M. & Peltola, K. (2011). Teaching on gender and staffing witin three Finnish business schools. I: Liisa Husu, Jeff Hearn, Anna-Maija Lämsä, Sinikka Vanhala, Women, management and leadership: naiset ja johtajuus (ss. 14-24). Helsinki: Edita Publishing Oy.
- de Cheveigné, S. , Husu, L. & Suter, C. (2010). Gender and excellence in research funding: European perspectives. I: Regula Julia Leemann, Heidi Stutz, Forschungsförderung aus Geschlechterperspektive: Zugang, Bedeutung und Wirkung in wissenschaftlichen Laufbahnen (ss. 181-201). Zürich: Verlag Rüegger Zürich.
- Husu, L. & de Cheveigné, S. (2010). Gender and gatekeeping of excellence in research funding: European perspectives. I: Birgit Riegraf, Brigitte Aulenbacher, Edit Kirsch-Auwärter, Ursula Müller, GenderChange in Academia: re-mapping the fields of work, knowledge, and politics from a gender perspective (ss. 43-59). Wiesbaden: VS Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften.
- Husu, L. , Siebenhandl, K. , Apostolov, G. , Zauchner, S. , Gindl, M. & Bammer, D. (2009). ADVANCE - Advanced training for women in scientific research across Europe: a review of an innovative program. I: Lipinsky, Anke, Encouragement to advance: supporting women in European science careers (ss. 119-136). München: Kleine Verlag.
- Husu, L. (2009). Finland. I: Suzanne de Cheveigné (chair), Liisa Husu (rapporteur), The Gender Challenge in Research Funding: Assessing European National Scenes (ss. 96-97). Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities.
- Husu, L. (2005). Women's Work-Related and Family-Related Discrimination and Support in Academia. I: Marcia Texler Segal, Vasilikie Demos, Gender Relations: Local and Global (ss. 161-199). . Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Husu, L. & Niemelä, P. (1993). Finland. I: Leonore Loeb Adler, International Handbook on Gender Roles (ss. 59-76). Westport, Connecticut - London: ABC-CLIO.
- Husu, L. & Callerstig, A. (2019). Gender challenges in research funding: Nordic and European perspectives. Konferensbidrag vid Nordic Science and Technology Studies Conference, Tampere University, Tampere, Finland, June 13-14, 2019.
- Erlingsdóttir, I. , Hearn, J. , Husu, L. & Shefer, T. (2019). Panel: Tensions between building up feminist academic infrastructure and feminist visions for the future: an interactive panel. Konferensbidrag vid Genders and Feminisms in a Polarised World: Sustainability, Futures and Utopias, RINGS: the International Research Association of Institutions of Advanced Gender Studies Conference, Tallinn University, Estonia, October 2-4, 2019.
- Husu, L. (2019). Scientific Careers, Organisations and Knowledge Production: Why and How Does Gender Matter?. Konferensbidrag vid International Conference "Gender Studies and Research in 2019 – Centenary Achievements and Perspectives", Vilnius University, Lithuania, November 21-23, 2019.
- Husu, L. (2018). Interrogating Science Policy in a Pro Gender Equality Setting: The Case of Sweden. Konferensbidrag vid XIX ISA World Congress of Sociology, session Science Policy and the Sustainable Development Goals: Why Is a Gender Lens Necessary?, Toronto, Canada, July 15-21, 2018.
- Strid, S. & Husu, L. (2015). The intersectional (re)structuring of equality architectures: comparing case Sweden and case Finland. I: 3rd "Equal is not Enough" Conference. 2015. Konferensbidrag vid 3rd "Equal is not Enough" Conference: Exploring novel theoretical and empirical approaches to the shaping of (in)equalities, Antwerp, Belgium, Februar 4-6, 2015.
- Hearn, J. , Strid, S. & Husu, L. (2014). Interrogating violence against women and state violence policy through gendered intersectionalities and intersectional gender: local, national and transnational contexts. Konferensbidrag vid International Sociological Association (ISA) World Congress of Sociology, Yokohama, Japan, July 13-19, 2014.
- Husu, L. & Koskinen, P. (2010). What does it take to get to the top?: women at the top of technological research. I: Anne-Sophie Godfroy-Genin, Women in engineering and technology research the PROMETEA conference proceedings. Konferensbidrag vid Women in Engineering and Technology Research, 26-27 October 2007, Palais du Luxembourg, Paris (ss. 303-326). Berlin: Lit Verlag.
- Strid, S. (ed.) & Husu, L. (ed.) (2013). Gender Paradoxes in Changing Academic and Scientific Organisation/s : GEXcel work in progress report. Vol. 18, Proceedings from GEXcel Themes 11-12: conference of workshops 20-21 October 2011. Örebro: Örebro universitet (CFS Report Series 24).
- Strid, S. (ed.) & Husu, L. (ed.) (2013). Gender Paradoxes in Changing Academic and Scientific Organisation/s: GEXcel work in progress report. Vol. 17, Proceedings from GEXcel Themes 11-12: Visiting Scholars. Örebro: Örebro universitet (CFS Report Series 23).
- Strid, S. (ed.) , Husu, L. (ed.) & Gunnarsson, L. (ed.) (2012). Gender paradoxes in Changing Academic and Scientific Organisation(s): GEXcel Work in Progress Report, Volume X Proceedings from GEXcel Themes 11-12. Örebro: Örebro universitet (CFS Report Series 16).
- Strid, S. , Humbert, A. L. , Hearn, J. , Bondestam, F. & Husu, L. (2021). UniSAFE D3.1 Theoretical and conceptual framework.. Zenodo.
- Husu, L. & Callerstig, A. (2018). Riksbankens Jubileumsfonds beredningsprocesser ur ett jämställdhetsperspektiv. Stockholm: Riksbankens Jubileumsfond (RJ rapporterar 2018:1).
- Palmén, R. , Hearn, J. & Husu, L. (2016). Historical Perspectives and Future Scenarios. Barcelona, spain: GenPORT.
- Lipinsky, A. , Ahlzweig, G. , Steinweg, N. , Getz, L. , GenPort consortium, G. , Husu, L. & Hearn, J. (2015). GenPORT Analysis of Policy Environments. Cologne: GenPORT.
- Palmén, R. , Bitusikova, A. , GenPORT Consortium, G. a. , Husu, L. & Hearn, J. (2015). Institutional practices and processes. Barcelona: GenPORT (Research synthesis 3).
- Husu, L. & Hearn, J. (2013). GenPort: An internet portal for sharing knowledge and inspiring collaborative action on gender and science: Conceptual Framework. Örebro: .
- Hearn, J. , Husu, L. & Biricik, A. (2011). Advancing Excellence in Science through Gender Equality: genSET Capacity Building Report. Linköping: Tema Genus.
- Pollitzer, E. , Crane, E. , Dale, H. , Blaszczuk, A. , Hearn, J. , Husu, L. , Kikis-Papadakis, K. , Urban, C. & et al. (2010). genSET Consensus Seminars.: The Gender Dimension in Science. Briefing Notes 1 and Supplement.. .
- Husu, L. (2010). Mot mera jämställda universitet: en internationell översikt över strategier och åtgärder. Stockholm: Delegationen för jämställdhet i högskolan (Delegationen för jämställdhet i högskolan, rapporter 2010:6).
- Husu, L. , Pollitzer, E. e. a. & Hearn, J. (2010). Recommendations for Action on the Gender Dimension in Science, EU FP7 Report to the European Commission: Authors: Pollitzer E., Crane E., Dale H., Blaszczuk A., Hearn J., Husu L., Kikis-Papadakis K., Margetousaki A., Urban C., Reimer R., & Strähle M... .
- Griffin, G. (ed.) , Benschop, Y. (ed.) & Husu, L. (ed.) (2021). Feminist Encounters in Research and Innovation: Special Issue.. Lectito (Feminist Encounters: A Journal of Critical Studies in Culture and Politics Vol. 5: 2).
- Husu, L. (ed.) , Hearn, J. (ed.) , Lämsä, A. (ed.) & Vanhala, S. (ed.) (2011). Women, management and leadership - Naiset ja johtajuus: NASTA women's leadership project final report. Helsingfors: Edita Publishing Oy (Hanken School of Economics Research Reports 72).
- Husu, L. (ed.) , Hearn, J. (ed.) , Lämsä, A. (ed.) & Vanhala, S. (ed.) (2010). Leadership through the gender lens: women and men in organizations. Helsinki: Edita Publishing Oy (Hanken School of Economics Research Reports 71).